Pages

Rob's Status

    Tears in Rain

    Psalm 45:1

    "My heart is inditing a good matter: I speak of the things which I have made touching the king: my tongue is the pen of a ready writer."

    Galatians 2:20

    I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

    <---Posts--->

    ------------------------------------------------------

    Tuesday, January 12, 2010

    Waking up with Discovery and the Frost





    I obviously have a lot to say today. . . I guess this whole writing and reading business really has me excited.

    -The Frost

    This morning I seemed quite optimistic; optimistic to wake up, optimistic to start the day right, optimistic to write about it.

    Other then a little lack of sleep, I felt I had the energy and gusto I needed to conquer an army, speaking of which, I started to listen/read to "The Art of War" a very interesting read (or manual I should say) on war fare. I find it a very intriguing listen on audio and plan on reading it for myself shortly. It is a wonderful way to pass time between drives back and fort from school.

    I attend a private University where I am currently studying mass communications and journalism hence why I love writing so much and why I look so much forward to telling stories I hope to create this semester. By serious inspiration, I know I'll be struck with something soon. At least I hope it will be soon because I only have 17 weeks left to produce a final film project for a production course I'm taking this semester. I'll elaborate a little bit more about the school another time.

    This morning I said I was very optimistic... This didn't change, however, to some surprise yet with little disappointment, this optimism of mine was soon challenged by the very forces of nature themselves.

    Gosh darn it... I can't believe sometimes how much more I type out here that I seem to be leaving out in my journal. You see, I keep a written record of everything I do and think about through out the day now and reiterate anything I found interesting here... Yet, it's almost 10 times better when I redo it! You would think this would make me happy, yet alas, I only wish I would take some more time to think about things... But now that I think of it, I think this is how it is supposed to work. I much rather type anyway but I really want something more concrete. Oh well, where was I?

    Oh yes! The Frost!

    To my surprise, it was a chilly 30 degrees this morning and my windows were covered in a thin yet solid layer of frost. I expected a warm and welcoming day. Instead I got frosted windows and Houston traffic. On top of that, I was late to my first Old Testament Survey course. The professor was very understanding it being my first day.

    It normally is not cold enough in Texas for such an alien thing to occur yet it still happened to my ungrateful surprise. I was fortunate that my brother (who is 2 years younger then I) recently was given our legally blind aunt's car for Christmas. She is all the way from northern Missouri and kept an ice scraper near in the passenger side pocket.

    Chipping away the ice was simple enough then and because of this event I hope to pay a little more attention to the weather channel--rain or shine.

    Jan. 12, 2010 I wrote:

    Story Idea:

    ~The Ironclad Fist

    Story about the rise of Ironclad ships vs. the wooden boats of it's previous era.

    So while in History today, I had an idea for a story about Ironclad war ships going up against enormous forces consisting of archaic weaponry (especially boats made of wood.)

    Ironclad ships have always been a small interest of mine since they are uniquely built and rarely seen or heard of today. I am also a sucker for what is called "Steampunk" which I am sure I will further explain in detail at one point or another. Just wanted to jot this all down before i Naturally forget...

    2 comments:

    Sam Wick said...

    Ironclad ships? Cool! I loved reading about those in history. They were like freakin' floating tanks. As long as they weren't too heavy, goo luck sinkin' 'em.

    Btw, have you seen the steampunk concept art Sam R. has made. Ask reeece and Ryan about it if you haven't seen it already.

    Rob W. Oakley said...

    Yeah, I'm thinking it would be pretty cool to do some more research on the Ironclad warships and maybe write a paper on it. Sooner or later, I'd also like to create a steampunked narrative based on them.

    And I have seen Sam's concept constructions of steampunk rifles and all things fancy ^_^

    I'll have to bug him to see them again sometime.