Pages

Rob's Status

    Tears in Rain

    Psalm 45:1

    "My heart is inditing a good matter: I speak of the things which I have made touching the king: my tongue is the pen of a ready writer."

    Galatians 2:20

    I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

    <---Posts--->

    ------------------------------------------------------

    Wednesday, July 14, 2010

    Building the Family Library



    So 1st Summer Session at the Lone star College is finally over and I can put Spanish behind me and focus on some things around home. I won’t have much to do now aside from the reading I’m planing to do so I’ve decided to take on a few challenges until the Summer comes to a close.

    So my first challenge is organizing and cataloging the family Library. I’ve take some time to research the necessary steps and well it appears to be fairly simple. Though I won’t be using anything extravagant like the Dewy Decimal System or the system they have set up at the Library of Congress, I quite simply will place the family collection in general categories such as Health and Science and Nature; Children Stories and Picture Books; Christianity and Spiritual Growth; Government and History; Geography and Reference; Education and “How-Tos”; and Fiction and Non-Fiction. While I sort the books in those categories I will also sort them alphabetically according to author and book title. Easy, right?

    We actually have a LOT of books and it’s going to take some time to catalog them all on my computer, but thankful with the advent of the Internet age it shouldn’t be all that bad. I found this rather ingenious website called “LibraryThing.” It allows me to search for my books online then add them to a virtual library. That way my database can be stored safely onto a web server and even shared with others.

    Why am I going through all this trouble? Well, like I said, the family has a LOT of books and I just want to take up this challenge to make it a little easier to find something on any particular topic. It’s another mission of mine to help plant a strong interest in discovering the world through books in not only myself but my younger siblings. I regret not reading much as a child and It would seem I have some catching up to do so why not share the experience and make it something worthwhile for the whole family?

    Can’t wait till it’s all finished: it’s going to look and feel fantastic.

    Ciao for now!

    ~The Renaissance Man





    "My heart is inditing a good matter: I speak of the things which I have made touching the king: my tongue is the pen of a ready writer."

    No comments: