Pages

Rob's Status

    Tears in Rain

    Psalm 45:1

    "My heart is inditing a good matter: I speak of the things which I have made touching the king: my tongue is the pen of a ready writer."

    Galatians 2:20

    I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

    <---Posts--->

    ------------------------------------------------------

    Tuesday, April 13, 2010

    Logos Kinon



    So I’ve been following around the blog-sphere and started to notice something that some blogs have that mine doesn’t.

    A theme...

    I thought I had a theme... In fact, it would appear that the theme of this blog is fairly obvious but I don’t think I’ve ever come out and admitted that [I] even knew what it was...

    The name has always been “Renaissance Man.”

    Why?

    Well that is something I aspire to be. . .

    It’s a life long pursuit, yes, but what pursuit in life isn’t?

    I honestly had no clue what I wanted to be when I grew up because I couldn’t make up my mind... I was also scared that whatever I chose to become wouldn’t make me happy, I’d change my mind but it would be too late... I had to be certain! But I just couldn’t choose to do any one thing, because I knew that any one thing couldn’t make me happy.

    I use to tell people, then, that I wanted to be a jack of all trades but master of none.

    I soon realized that employers and businesses don’t like to hear this sort of thing: they rely upon individuals with very specific skills and character traits.

    Well, there’s nothing really wrong with wanting to know how to do all sorts of different things or to desire many different abilities; however, it’s still important to find what you’re really good at and stick with it--also know as “finding your niche.”

    “What am I good at?” was the next question...

    Photography and graphic art are two things I’ve always loved and enjoyed...

    I love taking pictures and I love manipulating them to make something out of this world!

    I love talking about it, can’t stop thinking about it, and I love teaching others about it all the time.

    It didn’t stop there, though, and that’s when life started to get really interesting.

    Still images are amazing things and like they say, “A picture speaks a thousand words”

    I then thought to myself, “I enjoy speaking words of encouragement especially through my writing and my photographs... But if a picture speaks a thousand words, then how many words are spoken in moving pictures or film?”

    The standard film rate in American cinema is 24 frames per second.

    And a feature length film is said to be an average of 90 to 120 minutes in length

    1000 words times 24 fames times 60 seconds times 120 minutes equals 172,800,000 words!

    Of course, I’m not just talking about the dialog, and yes, one cannot take in a single frame of film as they can a single photograph; however, the possibilities of communicating ideas and the amount of skill that goes into this extensively collaborative business is incredible!

    So incredible... That I’m sure it’s what I want to do for the rest of my life...

    You take film and you get both a collaborative effort extensively involved in both art and science.

    Am I capable of being the best at every little aspect of film making? Of course not. But working in film still gives me the chance to use what gifts I do have and mix and match them with the gifts others have. I’m not so bright when it comes to music, but I can still use what little knowledge I have to work with someone who has dedicated his or her life to musical theory. I may not be that great of a craftsmen, but who knows? I may get to work with some of the greatest craftsmen this world has ever known. And to think, it can all happen on the set of a film.

    I now like to think of the renaissance man and the filmmaker as synonymous--one and the same...

    I now realize that, overall, this has been something I’ve been wanting to achieve since I was learning more about art in high school.

    I was home schooled in fact which could be of no surprise considering that many other renaissance souls out there were home schooled also.  But now, at twenty years of age, I am encouraged to share that I am attending University seeking a degree in mass communications with emphasis in film production, cinematography, digital editing, and motion design.

    As for my writing... I shouldn’t desire to limit my scope in the film industry only. So while I may not always speak of filmmaking or whatever I may be working on at the time, I should like to discuss things beyond that.

    I try not to seem like an activist of sorts. I tend to remain neutral on most controversial issues. Instead, I would seek to share what little wisdom I have found through life and scriptures not to point out the wrong in life, but to expound on how we all can live better.

    Whether I’m doing it here on my blog or hopefully someday in film, I shall strive to be of what encouragement I can  while seeking advancement in both art, science, and the word of God.

    Of course, what little life I have left in this fascinating universe will be dedicated to He who as made me. All glory be to God and God alone. Amen.

    So what is the theme of my blog?

    Well,

    If the Pen is Mightier then the sword...

    If the word of God is sharper than any two edged sword...


    If a Picture Speaks a Thousand Words...

    If Film Is Thousands of Moving Pictures

    Then the theme of my blog is this:

    "Ho Logos Kinon"--The Moving Word

    Finally, for anyone who is interested in art or science or both; for anyone in search of encouragement; for anyone interested in film production, photography, or graphic design; for anyone interested in sharing some deep thoughts in this sea of information, I hope you find yourself welcome here.

    To any renaissance man (or women) out there,

    God speed,

    ~Rob Oakley  (An aspiring Renaissance Man)



    "My heart is inditing a good matter: I speak of the things which I have made touching the king: my tongue is the pen of a ready writer."

    Share on Facebook

    No comments: